I think you’ll agree with me when I say that winter time is the best time for amateur stargazers like us. Longer nights and winter sky usually give us a plenty of opportunities to test our telescopes and view some incredible astronomy objects.
However, you may still find a bit of time to have a little fun with my astronomy and space quiz. Please have a go and test your general astronomy knowledge with my multiple choice trivia astronomy knowledge test. I hope you won’t find it too difficult for you. 🙂
Astronomy Quiz Questions and Answers
Make your choices and check your answers at the end of each question by clicking on the ‘+’ symbol.
1. Telescopes have significantly changed over time. Do you know who invented the first telescope though?
a. Galileo Galilei
b. Hans Lippershey
c. Isaac Newton
2. How many planets with rings are there in our solar system?
3. Approximately, how many moons are there in our solar system?
a. Usually more expensive than reflecting telescopes
b. Best telescopes for moon viewing
c. More demanding than reflecting telescopes in terms of their maintenance
5. Before the first telescope was invented what were ancient astronomers able to learn about planets? (multiple answers possible)
a. They could differentiate the planets from stars
b. They could see their moons
c. They were able to measure their temperature
6. When and which spacecraft did first send back surface images from a planet in our solar system?
a. Venera 9, 1975, Venus
b. Pioneer 10, 1973, Jupiter
c. Mariner 10, 1974, Mercury
7. Which was the first planet to be explored by a space probe?
8. How long did it take for Pioneer 11 to reach Jupiter?
a. 600 days
b. 606 days
c. 660 days
a. Norton’s Star Atlas
b. The Backyard Astronomer’s Guide
c. Turn Left At Orion
10. Who is the author of this famous quote: “I’m sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It’s just been too intelligent to come here.”
a. Stephen Hawking
b. Edwin Hubble
c. Arthur C. Clarke